08 December 2009

fun morning

Our morning was filled with LOTS of drama. Finley would be an excellent actress, for she is one of the best drama queens in existence. She had her 18 month checkup this morning and managed to sob/scream/kick/hit/weep/cling/yell at the top of her lungs from the time we got into the exam room, until we left (approximately 30 minutes later). She wouldn't let me put her clothes back on for fear that I was trying to trick her and make her get another shot. Oh mercy--she was pitiful! I felt somewhat obligated to apologize to her pediatrician and all of the nurses...but I suppose this isn't the first time they've experienced such antics.

She allowed me to put her on the scale (to be weighed) for approximately 2 seconds: 25 lbs 6 oz (nurse wrote down that she's between 50-75%). Ummm, kind of a big difference between 50 and 75, but whatever. She's chunky and healthy and eats ALL of the time. She's recently acquired the classic toddler walk--shoulders swinging back and forth and hips twisting in the opposite direction (while her bum is sticking way out).

Her head is supposedly 18.25 inches now (25-50%). Again, what's with the percentile? She was pretty much velcroed to my shoulder while the nurse measured her head, so I'm not sure how accurate it was--I do know that she's inherited my little head, though. No gigantic noggins like the boys in the family. I'm sure she'll appreciate that later in life.

Her height is 32.75 inches now (75-90%), but the nurse came up with this while I was trying to get her to lay on the exam table so she could mark the paper underneath Finley (one mark at her head and one at her foot) and then measure the distance between the two marks. One tiny problem with that...Finley was writhing around on the exam table like a greased pig fighting for her life--kicking, pulling my hair, hitting, twisting from side to side. It was definitely a flight or fight instinct for survival. I'm pretty sure I won only because I weigh more than her and was pinning her to the table. No idea how the nurse was able to make any marks on the paper--almost think she just marked it where she wanted to so that she wouldn't get harmed in the process. I would have done that.

Regardless of the D-R-A-M-A (which rears its ugly head at other random places, such as the grocery store and church), we are all still alive and don't have too many bruises. :)

She's a funny kid--and nothing like Anden and Mckay. Although I can't help think about Anden's 30 minute temper tantrum right before bedtime last night. Maybe they are more alike than we realize. Lots of exciting times ahead, I'm sure. I need a nap!

4 comments:

Bethanne said...

Oh, dear. I'm so sorry. We have had one of those visits with Jax before...and I'm sure it is not our last (there is still Griffey).

Give us a call to help!

Raegan said...

I wish I could have been there . . . not.

MOM said...

Letting Raegan go next time sounds like fun for everyone. hahahaha

MOM

kd said...

I felt your pain. I second the vote for Raegan taking her in next time...