27 June 2008

stroller addiction



Okay, I admit it.  I'm addicted to strollers.  Not just any strollers, of course, but those that tend to be more expensive than any baby accessory should ever cost.  I could try to justify my problem (which, by the way, is shared by my husband) and say that we NEED these strollers because we have three kids under the age of 3 1/2 years old...but, I'm sure someone could come up with a good counter argument.  

We currently own a normal Graco Travel System and small umbrella stroller from the days of when Anden was a baby.  When McKay came along, we did a ton of research and (after finding an amazing deal online) bought an uber-stroller:  The Valco Baby TriMode Runabout Twin.  We even bought all of the fancy attachments (from insect mesh to a car seat adapter to a toddler seat).  You can fit three kids on this thing and possibly more if we added a hitchhiker board on the back.  It is wonderful--except that it is HUGE and cumbersome to fold.  I suppose that's what you get when you buy something to transport a grundle of kids around.  You'd think we'd have been satisfied with those strollers, right?  Wrong...about six months later, we ended up buying another twin stroller--to use as a travel stroller (we were going on a trip and didn't want to take the Runabout for fear of it getting hurt on the plane ride).  We found yet another great deal on the Chicco C5 Twin Double stroller and had to have it.  It proved to be very useful and we were glad we had it during that trip, even if it doesn't have many bells and whistles.

I noticed that I had an itch for another stroller about a month before Finley was born.  We haven't used the Graco since Anden was about a year old and you can't put a newborn in an umbrella stroller.  Plus, Anden has started to enjoy walking much more than getting in a stroller, so we figure McKay will probably do the same soon.  I began doing research on a good single stroller and immediately fell in love with ridiculously expensive models that aren't sold in any BabiesRUs or Target (meaning no test drive possible).  I finally found one that wasn't terribly expensive (although much more than most normal people would spend, I'm sure) also made by Valco Baby (the single Latitude) and pitched it to Raegan a couple of weeks ago.  He looked it over, then promptly fell in love with another Valco Baby (the RAD) that was almost double the price.  Seriously--I think we both need stroller counseling.  

We ended up ordering the less pricey Valco Baby Latitude (of course we found a great deal online) and just got it the other day.  It's super cute and almost perfect...except that Anden and McKay have decided they should be the ones to get to ride in it, not Finley.  The drama never ends at our house.  Hopefully, our stroller addiction has been satisfied (at least for the time being).

No comments: